by Janine Duffy
If you love wild animals, and want to come wildlife watching in Australia in May, June, July, August or September, where are best places to go?
Kangaroos & Crocodiles 10 days
Tropical North Queensland from May to September is warm and sunny, and in the Outback the sun shines strongly but mornings are fresh and cool.
Wildlife thrives in this gentle season. On this trip you’ll see huge contrasts, both in the animals seen and the landscapes: rainforest and reef wildlife in the north, and desert animals on the red sand of the Outback.
You’ll see large numbers of wild Red and Western Grey Kangaroos, Emus, up to twelve species of parrot & cockatoo and many other birds at Mungo in the Outback with Echidna Walkabout. Emus sit on nests from April to June, so by June & July the chicks have hatched and are walking around with their dad. Later in the season, in August & September, chicks are becoming curious and we have experiences like this: Teenage Emus in the Outback
In tropical north Queensland with James from FNQ Nature Tours you’ll see Saltwater Crocodiles, Boyd’s Forest Dragons, Spectacled Flying-foxes, freshwater & marine turtles, pythons, kingfishers, friarbirds, frogs, butterflies and possibly a Bennett’s Tree Kangaroo, Green Ringtail, Striped Possum and/or a Southern Cassowary.
Kangaroos & Whale Sharks 9 days
You will be surrounded by wild kangaroos at one minute, and by whale sharks and manta rays the next.
Wildlife highlights in the Outback in Australian winter include mobs of Red and Western Grey Kangaroos, Apostlebirds, Wedge-tailed Eagles, Shingleback and Central Bearded Dragon Lizards. Big flocks of Major Mitchell’s Cockatoos are best seen in May & June when young birds are hanging out with the adults. Regent Parrots can be seen throughout winter, but as breeding starts in September they come to River Red Gum trees near Hattah.
At famous Ningaloo Reef on Australia’s west coast May, June or July is the best season for swimming with Whale Sharks. You may also see and snorkel with Manta Rays, Dugongs, turtles and many colouful reef fish. In August and September Humpback Whales appear at Ningaloo. Around Exmouth town Emus are quite common, and some rare birds like Star Finch and Budgerigar can be seen in June and Spinifex Pigeons have been seen in September.
Kangaroos & Crocodiles suggested itinerary:
fly into Melbourne MEL or Sydney SYD
- Day 1 free day in Melbourne/Sydney to relax Janine’s suggestion: MELBOURNE – great birds can be seen on a walk in Royal Park, North Melbourne SYDNEY: Take a Sydney ferry to Cremorne Point Wharf and walk around the harbour to Mosman or Taronga Zoo Wharf – loads of birds.
- Day 2 fly Sydney/Melbourne to Cairns CNS [non stop flights all day by Qantas Virgin Jetstar Tiger] James’ suggestion: try an hour of birding on the Cairns Esplanade this evening before dinner
- Day 3 to 4 touring with FNQ Nature Tours 2 day Cape Tribulation private (accom incl)
- Day 5 fly Cairns to Melbourne [non stop flights all day by Qantas Virgin Jetstar Tiger] James’ suggestion: take a morning walk at the Cairns Botanic Gardens before your flight
- Day 6 free day Mel Janine’s suggestion: For a taste of the city lifestyle, check out Hidden Secrets Lanes & Arcades tour in the morning
- Day 7 fly Melbourne to Mildura MQL [non stop flights by Rex, Qantas & Virgin all day]
- Day 7 to 10 touring with Echidna Walkabout 4 day Mungo Outback Journey private (accom incl).
- Day 10 Mildura to Melbourne non stop flights by Rex, Qantas & Virgin all day
fly out of Melbourne
Indicative Touring Price: from $4440 per person.
Includes 3 nights accommodation in Mildura/Mungo and one night in Cape Tribulation. This price does not include flights, or accommodation in Melbourne, Sydney or Cairns.
Kangaroos & Whale Sharks suggested itinerary:
fly into Melbourne
- Day 1 free day in Melbourne Janine’s suggestion: Take a bus 235 or 237 from the city to Westgate Park for a great half-day of birding
- Day 2 fly Melbourne to Mildura MQL [non stop flights by Rex, Qantas & Virgin all day]
- Day 2 to 5 touring with Echidna Walkabout 4 day Mungo Outback Journey private (accom incl).
- Day 5 fly Mildura to Adelaide ADL [Rex non stop 10.05am-10.40 (no flights on Sundays)]
- Day 6 fly Adelaide to Exmouth LEA [Qantas one stop Perth. Best flight 06.10am-12.05pm] Suggestion: Spend the afternoon looking for birds around the Exmouth wastewater treatment plant and golf course near the visitor centre on Willersdorf Rd.
- Day 7 Full day Whale shark swim with Exmouth Dive Centre
- Day 8 Full day Snorkel & Manta or full day Muiron Island with Exmouth Dive Centre
- Day 9 fly Exmouth to Perth PER [Qantas 11.30am and 3.15pm weekdays (only one flight on Sat & Sun]
fly out of Perth
Indicative Touring Price:from $3850 per person.
Includes 3 nights accommodation in Mildura/Mungo.
This price does not include flights, or accommodation in Exmouth, Perth, Melbourne or Adelaide if required. In Exmouth allow $320per room per night for 5 star; $250pr,pn for mid-range or $150pr,pn for budget
All of these tour operators are members of Australian Wildlife Journeys – Australia’s premier collection of wildlife tour operators. Learn more here.